Morningstar Academy
You must be 19 years or older to join Morningstar Academy!

Opinions on the disabled

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opinions on the disabled

Post by Avarue on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:54 pm

Today I have had a thought keep bothering me in the back of my mind. Why do people use a disability as a excuse? Why do they expect the world to change for them?

Yes, a disabled person is not able to do the same things as a normal one - but that does not change the task at hand. The job is the job, if you can't do it for some reason - find a way that works for you, find someone to help you, or step aside and let another person have it. The world can't change for everyone - you have to change to the best of your ability for the world. 

As disabled people we are dealt a unfair hand from the very beginning - but what we make out of that is ours to own. We can't stand to the side and cry and complain - that only makes us look weak and worthless. Does it not hurt to' stand on the sidelines and watch? To be denied the chance to try or do something everyone else can? 

Every disability no matter the type (mental, physical, emotional, ect.) has it's pros and cons. You have to learn to overcome it however you can. How do you just sit there and hide behind it, and not feel yourself fall apart inside?
Avarue
Butterfly Initiate
Butterfly Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on the disabled

Post by Luci Black on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:42 am

Disability can often be used as an excuse not to try. While I do not expect a paraplegic to run a marathon, I do expect someone with anxiety to strive daily to overcome it, rather than use the excuse, "I suffer from anxiety, I can't help it." 

What is the difference between this and an addict giving the excuse, "I'm addicted, I can't help it." ? Should we be understanding of addicts and let them remain addicted because they can't help it? Where is personal responsibility?

If one is an addict, they are entirely capable of recovering from addiction. If one is depressed, they need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and go live, rather than remaining in a situation which causes them depression. 

Is depression a chemical imbalance? Yes. However, there are things one can do which will boost pleasure causing chemicals in the brain, none of which need to involve illegal substances or alcohol.

What can you suggest to boost feel good chemicals in the brain without breaking the law or becoming an alcoholic?

I carry a lantern."

Head Academy Overseer - Luci Black
Luci Black
Head Academy Overseer
Head Academy Overseer

Alignment :
  • Saturn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Avarue on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:53 am

There has been good research hat promotes exercise as a way to combat depression. The chemicals that are released by exercise (that make you feel good/awake at the end of a workout) are similar to those that are typically depleted in the brain of a depressed person.  

I agree with you in using disabilities as a excuse to not try - it drives me crazy to watch people do that. As soon as one person does that everyone else around them who are also disabled gets treated how they are. Now I don't expect the impossible - but do all that you can. 

There are many times I have been treated badly, and not allowed to do anything - even something I actually had the ability to do, because another diabled person in the same group as me threw a fit and used their disability as a excuse. For their wanting out of doing something I got punished and held back. I hate standing on the sidelines. 

There is a reason most disabled people battle depression - when you can't do something or someone will not let you try, you wind up watching all of the normal people do what you can't or are not allowed to. It just reinforces that you are different - that you can't do that, that you are lesser of a person than them - and for something that on average you can't control at all.
Avarue
Butterfly Initiate
Butterfly Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luci Black on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:34 am

Avarue, brilliantly said! Real inclusion is what this is about, rather than giving people excuses to be less than they are capable.

I carry a lantern."

Head Academy Overseer - Luci Black
Luci Black
Head Academy Overseer
Head Academy Overseer

Alignment :
  • Saturn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content