Morningstar Academy
You must be 19 years or older to join Morningstar Academy!

Deeper Work

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Deeper Work

Post by LoverofWisdom1 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Journal Entry #1
Date: Saturday, August 12th, 2017

Dear Journal, 

With the help of a very beloved friend, I have come across a few truths which I find are the healing antidote to my religious troubles. Firstly, I realize that, in the past, I've placed an (honestly) unhealthy over-emphasis on my beliefs, rather than on actual practice. This has been the cause of my spiritual restlessness. Secondly, I now understand that all of my attempts at finding a religion thus far have been but utter vanity. They originate from my desires to fit external molds. My religious identity, if it is to have any relevance, must be a product of my own internal convictions, of course coupled with the aforementioned reorientation towards cultivating a sincere devotional practice as well as a strong ethical code. I feel as though I will greatly benefit from a clearer, simpler statement of conviction. Beyond these, I will pay no more attention to metaphysical speculations which only serve to hinder my religious progress. Below, I have placed a set of my deepest understandings:

#1, There exist a myriad of deities and other spirit beings which permeate Nature. (I use ‘Nature’ here in the broadest sense to refer to the Infinite Universe.) Of the deities, one is Supreme. This One is the One I know as Deity or God, Ruler of gods and men (to be differentiated from The Great Spirit as described below). 

#2, Transcending the Universe, I envision a single Divine Essence or Force. This Force – henceforth known varyingly as The Force, The Great Spirit, The Over-soul, or by titles attributed to It – is the Originator of Being, the Ground of Existence. It is Infinite, Absolute. The Over-soul is not only The Creator, but also The Destroyer and The Re-creator. 
LoverofWisdom1
Butterfly Initiate
Butterfly Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Deeper Work

Post by LoverofWisdom1 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Dear Journal, 

Looking back at my religious life, from childhood, I've always been curious about other cultures, other religions. My World Cultures class had sown the seeds for my further explorations thereof. One culture for which I've always possessed a hidden affinity for was that of Japan. Shinto was one of two religions which sparked an awareness of  polytheism as a conception of the Divine. Though, it only poked at me initially. Later in life, as my interest in Japanese culture began to blossom, Shinto began to noticably nudge at my spirit. Yet, my own mind had become a swirling torrent of confusion, due to a lack of focus on any specific culture or religion. Since deciding to delve deeper into Japanese culture, religion, and history (taking baby steps), everything else that once caused the restlessness has begun to fade into oblivion. I remain hopeful for my growth, and shall become increasingly steadfast in my devotion to Japan, with the goal of not merely contenting with the label ‘Shinto’,  but actually practicing it, being ever the student of the Bushido. A mighty challenge, a praiseworthy end...

L.o.W.
LoverofWisdom1
Butterfly Initiate
Butterfly Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top