Morningstar Academy
You must be 19 years or older to join Morningstar Academy!

Fake news - a technological fix?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fake news - a technological fix?

Post by Avarue on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:27 pm

I had a interesting conversation recently about the effect fake news is having via social media. How quickly 'news' is spread has become in a way out of control - we get everything almost live-time now from practically anywhere we want. With this has came the development of fake news, things that are misleading, pure propaganda, or even flat out wrong (proven wrong via science or something else). The interesting concept was if it was possible to have a technological component to the fix? 

One idea presented - and discussed - was the idea of a controlled bubble. This could work as someone who shared or created something would only be able to have it seen by their friends to start and it would be voted on (similar to Reddit or such sites), how many votes it gets and how much of a impact it has (positive) would determine how far out it could get shared. Such that if someone posted something and it gets down voted a bunch it never eaves their friend group, however if the opposite happens it gets out to more people. This could create a natural barrier, as once it gets so far and people start down voting it would stop being able to grow. This could possibly isolate the ability to gather followers through social media to the more radical or incorrect(as in fake news and such) sources. 

What are people's thoughts on this? Does it have potential? What problems could arise?
Avarue
Butterfly Initiate
Butterfly Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Smells of Censorship

Post by Dragon on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Once a group starts controlling what is allowed to be seem by the masses it is censorship. Lets say I become your friend and I send out a message I want the world to see. My ideas are different than yours. Your friends all get the message and they read it and cannot understand it because the concept I am trying to explain is beyond what they can understand. Your whole group votes no and the message was never seen and the idea dies. Why? You were all afraid it might me harmful or fake news. It would be no different than Galileo Galilei being thrown in jail and his paper not published because his proposed science was considered nonsense.

Last edited by Dragon on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction in title)
Dragon
Initiate of Spider House
Initiate of Spider House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fake news - a technological fix?

Post by Avarue on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 pm

In your scenario when it hit me it would stop from my side, but the rest of your friends still get it, and their friends can still get it if it does not get down voted too much over there. It would stop the spread more naturally, where we would not have so many fights to the point people are mindlessly spreading and liking things. It would be slightly more controlled.
Avarue
Butterfly Initiate
Butterfly Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Censorship is like a Cancer

Post by Dragon on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Censorship starts small and becomes a cancer. The cancer spreads and before you know it the cancer is out of control. You can not control it and then what? You do not have an answer for this as there is no answer. I have my own mind. I prefer to use it and decide for myself. I want to decide what I read and do not want to read, what is fact and what is fiction, what is the truth and what is a lie and what is real and what is fake. I have these abilities and I want to do this for myself as do not want some group of well meaning people doing this for me.
Dragon
Initiate of Spider House
Initiate of Spider House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fake news - a technological fix?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top