Morningstar Academy
You must be 19 years or older to join Morningstar Academy!

The Scorpion and the Frog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Scorpion and the Frog

Post by LumosDrakken on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:01 pm

This children's fable has many lessons hidden in it, care to discuss?

"A learned person underrates own intelligence and overvalues others importance, so remains in public largely shy; the foolish person overrates own importance and undervalues others intelligence, so often publicly lie." - Anuj Somany
LumosDrakken
Initiate of Serpent House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Scorpion and the Frog

Post by Durga Rises With Wings on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:47 pm

I luv this story, I have heard recently the same meaning regarding a snake and a man, the man helps a snake only to eventually be struck by the snake, this begs me the question, can one’s nature ever be changed? I like to think that we as humans have the ability to change ourselves, I understand we are very deep creatures with many layers, maybe the most true nature of ourselves can not be changed, I like to feel I have the power to control my urges of self destruct or harm on others...Goes away to think more about this topic.
Thank you Lumos.

Initiate of Owl House
Initiate of Owl House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LumosDrakken on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Intrinsic nature is only one of the hidden "nuggets" in this tale, there is also the illustration of how "people" discard their own intuition to trust another, even when they feel they shouldn't. Self deception, or going against ones own instincts often leads to a path of destruction. You get that "gut-feeling" for a reason, it is a gift. I try not to go against it. I would have told the scorpion I can't swim either. A little truth goes a long way. 
This is generally the same fable as the snake and the boy, that Luci has typed out for us. I just figured folks like videos as well so I found one without an annoying narrator or background music. I originally heard this story as "The swan and the scorpion" in my childhood. I had an uncle that constantly plied me with stories to make me think with a little more depth than many expect from a child not yet school aged. He even made up many stories for me, I wish I had gotten him to write them out.

Last edited by LumosDrakken on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional reflection; prevention of redundancy)

"A learned person underrates own intelligence and overvalues others importance, so remains in public largely shy; the foolish person overrates own importance and undervalues others intelligence, so often publicly lie." - Anuj Somany
LumosDrakken

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Durga Rises With Wings on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes that is another point made, this is a big one too, we have this gut-instinct for a reason, the body doesn't want to die, it's interesting how we will ignore our own instincts and it leads to our own demise, so if the body is so intuitive to danger nearby, then why is it we are still lured by the damned, if I was a body I would be yelling internally to myself to stop don't do it,  so who over rides who - the lure of another or the body knows best? I think for some, we obey the body's instincts and rarely enter into danger, but others are quick to fall into constant danger. maybe some are aware of the language of self and some are not? Interesting human behaviours we have.

Initiate of Owl House
Initiate of Owl House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top